HOMEMADE CAR CLEANING PRODUCTS
COURTESY OF GATHERLITTLEBYLITTLE.COM
Car soap isn’t near as sophisticated as the manufacturers would like you to think it is. Here’s a simple recipe that will make all the suds you need and keep your car nice and clean:
- 1 cup liquid dish detergent - Ivory works well
- 12 T powdered laundry detergent
- 1 large bucket of water
Carnuba is the key ingredient for a good car wax as it provides a very hard protective coating over your car’s paint. Here’s a carnuba based homemade car wax recipe:
- 1 cup linseed oil
- 4 tbsp. carnuba wax (available at automotive stores and available online)
- 2 tbsp. beeswax
- 1/2 cup vinegar
Put ingredients in top half of a double boiler or saucepan. Heat slowly until wax has melted. Stir, and pour into a heat resistant container. After wax has solidified, rub it on the car with a lint-free cloth. Saturate a corner of a cotton rag with vinegar and polish the wax to a deep shine.
I like to clean my tires with Soft scrub with bleach. The bleach whitens any white letters or stripes along with giving the tire a nice black color. Here’s a homemade alternative:
Non-Abrasive Soft Scrubber:
1/4 cup borax
Vegetable-oil based liquid soap (such as Murphy’s Oil Soap)
1/2 teaspoon lemon oil
1 teaspoon bleach
Carpet Cleaner/Stain Remover
Here’s a few homemade ideas to clean the carpet in your car and to help you remove stains:
- A great carpet stain remover is club soda. Soak the spot immediately with soda and blot until the stain is gone.
- Sprinkle cornstarch onto carpet, vacuum.
- Grease spots can be removed from carpets by first absorbing excess with a sponge. Next rub a liberal amount of corn starch into the spot. Let sit overnight, then vacuum.
Carpet FreshenerWant your car to smell cleaner? Here’s some homemade carpet freshener:
- 4 cups baking soda or cornstarch
- 35 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
- 30 drops Lavender essential oil
- 25 drops Rosewood essential oil or any combination of your favorite essential oils
Measure 4 cups of baking soda into a bowl, add essential oils. Break up any clumps that form, stir until well mixed. Before vacuuming sprinkle powder from a shaker type can or jar. Let it sit on the carpet for about 15 minutes then vacuum.
In a bowl, mix the borax with enough soap to form a creamy paste. Add lemon oil, bleach, and blend well.
Windshield Wiper Frost Free Fluid
Mix 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water and coat the car windows and fill your fluid reservoir with this solution. This vinegar and water combination will keep windshields clean, and ice and frost-free.